Pioneer Stories of Meade County
County Historical Society
building erected in the early part of 1886 still stands on the hill
13 miles south of Meade on Highway 23. In that early day the
government wanted the land settled and would give the land to any
who were willing to come this far west to live. German Lutherans
were among those who accepted the offer and they decided on the land
in what is now Odee Township.
As soon as they were settled on their claims they thought of a
church building and a school house. They decided to construct a one
room building which could be used for church and school. This met
their need for a time but when more settlers came it was necessary
to build a church as the small school house was too crowded.
They built a nice frame building in the valley along Crooked
Creek and later built the parsonage. Years later a Lutheran Church
was built in Meade and the one in the valley was torn down and the
lumber was used to build the parish hall. The parsonage in the
country became the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gerd Meierdierks.
Many families moved on farms in the school district and it was
necessary to have a larger school house so one was built just east
of the Stone School. The children who had attended Stone School and
their parents still have fond memories of the literaries and other
good times they had together even though crowded in the small room.
Drinking water was hauled by the children or carried by pupils
or teacher. Coal was hauled from Meade for the large stove, which
stood in the center of the little room. Stone School was kept in
good repair by the capable and interested board members.
Stone School patrons and pupils as well as people in adjoining
districts were interested in literaries, so many pleasant evenings
were spent together with adults and children presenting "pieces" and
School has not been held in the Stone School since 1914 but
George Buck and many helpers recently repaired and redecorated this
old landmark, so it stands as a reminder of the good days that have
The first term of school was in 1886. Officers were: Director
W.C. Schmoker, Clerk Martin Buck, Treasurer Henry Wurdeman, County
Superintendent N.B. Clark, Teacher Carrie Schmoker (Anchutz). Other
teachers were: 1888 Carrie Campbell, 1889 W.E. Glass, 1890 Nellie G.
Sencenich, 1891 Carrie Schmoker (Anchutz), 1892 Maggie Martin, 1896,
Incidental teaching Claus Borger and John Cordes, 1896 Sallie
Petefish, 1911 Nettie Deck, 1912 Mary Pennington, 1913 Marion
Overton (Paden), 1914 Mayme Finkle (Lewis). School was held in the
District several times afterward but it was in the new frame
schoolhouse. Stop by sometime and see on Meade County's famous
By Mayme Lewis