Home Dalton Gang Hideout Meade County Museum About Us Links

Index of Stories Index of Photos    Cemeteries Maps

Evergreen School - Dist #31 - Logan Township
Evergreen School was 18 miles southeast of Meade and only 3 miles west of the Clark County line in southeast Meade County on Section 15-T33-R26. It was originally built on land belonging to John A. Cole and is sometimes called the Cole School.

District 31 was formed in 1886, and the original schoolhouse was a small stone building (about 15 x 20') of which remnants remain as this story was written in 2017.

in 1916, along with three other school districts, Evergreen got a more modern 28' x 40' frame building. This building was placed on the SW corner of the SE/4 Section 9-T33-R26, a half mile north and a half mile west of the little block school. The new school was referred to as "Evergreen West," and the old school was referred to as "Evergreen East." It closed at the end of the 1943-44 school term and a public sale was held July 28, 1944, to sell the furniture and buildings.
Remnants of this old rock building still stands on road 29, south of Road U, in southeast Meade County. It served District 31 until a larger frame building was built in 1916.
This cut from the 1909 Plat book shows District 31, as well as the location of the two Evergreen-Cole schools. Note how close the original school was to the Cole family home.

 

This modern day map shows the location of the two Evergreen schools as they relate to other schools in the area.
Sir names of students at Evergreen were: Austin, Black, Butler, Carey, Chambers, Chandler, Clay, Cole, Coon, Cornett, Craig, Davis, Fry, Fuhrman, Haskins, Heape, Lauppe, Lumbert, McGlathern, Peck, Powell, and Reneau. We don't have a record of the earlier students from the 1890's and early 1900's, but the names of the school officers included: Dickerson, Heap, Atterbend, Orr, Cole, Pinnick, Veatch, Haskins, Ashby, Lauppe, and Martin. It stands to reason all these people had children in the district.

TEACHER

YEARS

 

 

TEACHER

YEARS

Schmoker, Ella

1891  

 

Vink, Callie  

1921-22

White, Mabel

1892  

 

Haigh, Mattie J.  

1922-23

Moffitt, Mary

1892  

 

Barclay, Bessie M.  

1923-25

Stephens, Charles A.

1893-94

 

Craig, Mary  

1925-26

Peed, Julia

1894  

 

Cordes, Viola  

1926-27

Peed, Julia

1904-05

 

Craig, Mary  

1927-28

Erickson, Rebecca

1905-06

 

Eikermann, Leo F.  

1928-29

Carlson, Frank  

1913-14

 

Eckhoff, John  

1929-30

Cragg, Raydie 

1914-15

 

Eikermann, Homer H.  

1930-32

Weaver, Raydie

1915-17

 

Powell, Virginia  

1932-33

Walker, Simeon  

1917-18

 

Moore, Mary  

1933-34

Dalgran, Margaret  

1918-19

 

Cole, Herbert M.  

1934-35

Hughes, Mary 

1919-20

 

McCampbell, Georgia  

1941-42

Frame, Mary  

1920-21

 

Harris, Katherine  

1943-44

Bishop, Beatrice

1920-21

 

 

 

Evergreen-Cole School in 1895. Access a graphic here that names most of these students. Teacher is Frank Carlson.
Evergreen School 1925. List on the back: James Powell, Frances Craig, Herbert, Francis & Eugene Cole; Mary, Dorothy, Charley & Bill Fuhrman, Walter Lauppe, Mary Craig Teacher.
Evergreen School 1921: Some of the students named were: Vona Craig, Emma Coon, Justin Coon, Marjorie Craig, Gerry Coon. Mary Frame, Teacher.
Evergreen School - 1934-35

On the back: Herbert Cole, Teacher; John Craig, Robert Clay, Junior Butler, Junior Clay, C.L. Clay.


Raydie Cragg Weaver
from the Meade County History Book

In August 1914, Miss Raydie Cragg arrived by train in Meade, Kansas from Oswego, Kansas. She went directly to the Court House to have her teacher's certificate registered. There she met the County superintendent Pearl Wood Smith and a teacher Miss Mayme Finkle.
Miss Cragg had been employed to teach the Evergreen School in a little stone building near the John Cole home on Sand Creek.

Mr. Alta Lauppe, a school board member, met the new teacher and took her to his home where she was to room and board. Sitting on that high seat in a wagon was a new experience for her and the trip seemed endless. Meade County had harvested a wonderful crop that spring so Miss Cragg amused herself by counting straw stacks. At one time she could count 31 straw stacks from her seat on the wagon.

Geneva, Merle, Ralph and Edgar Lauppe, age six and their teacher walked two and a half miles to school and home after school as soon as the janitor work was done.

"We got our mail about once a week from a mail box at the Crawford Corner. Since there were no cars in the community for transportation, we made our own entertainment at the school house such as literaries, school programs, dinners and occasionally a box supper to raise money for library books or something else needed in the school. The rural schools usually had enough pupils to make it necessary that one teacher teach all eight grades. There was no time to be lonesome or to get homesick," said Raydie.

In 1916, Edward E. Weaver, Sr. came to Meade County from eastern Kansas. He came to work on the new Baptist Church in Meade as he was a carpenter. Mr. Weaver helped build the new Evergreen school house. On August 2, 1916, Miss Raydie Cragg and Mr. Edward Weaver, Sr. were married in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Reneau by the Rev. W.W. Reid.

Mrs. Weaver served for a number of years on the examining board to help the County Superintendent with teachers' examinations and with the examinations given to rural pupils in the seventh and eighth grades before they could enter high school. There were stacks and stacks of papers to check.
She recalls one time while teachers were busy with their tests, a storm came up and they were kept busy scooting their tables out of the way of rain dripping from the roof on the old Court House.
Mrs. Weaver retired in 1957, after teaching 43 terms of school, 38 of which were in Meade County. She continued to substitute until the fall of 1962.

June 14,1955, Raydie and Orville C. Van Hoesen were married in Beaver, Oklahoma. They made their home in Meade where they lived out their lives.


James Wilson Story - Meade County History Book

In 1894, James Wilson was married to Cornelia McGaffin, who, having been reared and educated in Waterloo, Iowa, had decided to come to Kansas to join her married sister, Mrs. Belle Adams, instead of going to South Dakota with her parents.

After teaching two terms of school, one at the Cole school southeast of Meade, and the other at the Black school south of Meade, she was married and lived in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kiowa, Ks., while her husband was serving as cattle inspector for the government. (The Wilsons returned in 1887, and lived out their lives in Meade.)


The old stone building as it appears in 2017.

This shot from satellite shows the old foundations of Evergreen West.
There isn't even a road to this site today.

 

Copyright 2012 Prairie Books, all rights reserved